You don’t need to visit a post office to see what ails the system:
- Unsafe working conditions: “More than 5,300 USP employees were attacked by dogs during mail deliveries last year,” as reported by CNN.
- Mail carriers face an increasing threat of robbery and violence, as reported by the Associated Press.
- Staffing shortages in the Twin Cities: “1 out of 6 carrier positions is unfilled,” as reported by the Star Tribune.
- With significant overtime requirements, the job has become unworkable for single parents, as articulated by a spokeswoman at a regional post office in Kentucky.
- The climb to the highest pay grade takes too long — 13 years, as verbalized by a Minneapolis postal carrier.
- An aging delivery fleet. Delivery trucks that went into service between 1987 and 1994 are still being utilized decades later, according to the Associated Press.