U.S. Postal Service Expands Local Delivery Pilot to 10 Additional North Texas Post Offices
DALLAS — The U.S. Postal Service has added 10 North Texas locations to its USPS Connect Local pilot program, which launched on July 19. Initially offered in three Dallas and four Houston locations, the service is now available at 27 Texas postal facility locations.
USPS Connect Local is a new offering that helps businesses and organizations provide local-to-local same-day or next-day package delivery at affordable rates. It is part of a broader USPS Connect program that is being piloted in stages to help businesses meet growing consumer demand for affordable, fast local and regional deliveries and returns.
The USPS Connect Local pilot allows business customers direct access to its unmatched last-mile delivery network. Once business customers are enrolled in the program and agree to the program terms and conditions, they can bring their prepaid labeled packages directly to the back dock of the postal facility closest to their package destinations. In return, they will get delivery rates that are usually only available to large-volume mailers. The Postal Service plans to expand to additional USPS Connect Local locations in the coming months as operational capabilities are refined.
“This delivery process is unprecedented, and we’re excited to be piloting it — first in Texas, and then across the country once we demonstrate our readiness,” said Jakki Krage Strako, USPS chief commerce and business solutions officer and executive vice president.
USPS Connect is a major component of the organization’s 10-year Delivering for America plan and is expected to contribute to the plan’s goal of $24 billion in net revenue growth by offering direct access to the Postal Service’s delivery network.
It will also help meet today’s e-commerce expectations. According to a recent report, 87 percent of consumers say the shipping experience directly impacts their decision to shop with a merchant again. Another recent report found half of consumers (51 percent) have purchased more from local retailers over the past six months, and experts expect this trend to continue.
“We are pleased with the expansion. More USPS Connect Local pilot locations means we have the opportunity to help more Dallas-area businesses grow and succeed,” said Dallas Postmaster Yulonda Love.
How the USPS Connect Local pilot works:
- Businesses submit their contact information at www.uspsconnect.com. A USPS representative will contact them to agree to the online terms and conditions.
- Next, they will visit USPS Click-N-Ship online to enter package information, print shipping labels, prepay for postage and receive tracking numbers, all in one place. No software integration needed.
- Then they will bring their labeled packages directly to the back dock of the designated postal facility first thing in the morning (5-7 a.m.) for expected same-day delivery, or 30 minutes before the back dock closes to receive next-day delivery to the ZIP code areas served by that location. They will then present their SCAN form and packages to the clerk.
- Carriers will deliver the packages as part of their daily routes.
Three postal facilities in the Dallas area were chosen for the initial USPS Connect Local pilot launch:
- Joe Pool Post Office, 5521 S. Hampton Road, servicing ZIP codes 75224, 75232, 75237 and 75376
- Juanita Craft Post Office, 3055 Al Lipscomb Way, servicing ZIP codes 75204, 75210, 75215,75223, 75226, 75246, 75315 and 75371
- Beverly Hills Post Office, 2202 S. Cockrell Hill Road, servicing ZIP codes 75211, 75233, 75236 and 75249
These 10 locations were added today:
- Prestwood Post Office, 5995 Summerside Drive, servicing ZIP codes 75248, 75252 and 75379
- Brookhollow Post Office, 5055 Norwood Road, servicing ZIP Codes 75207, 75212, 75235, 75247, 75356 and 75342
- University Dallas Post Office, 5606 SMU Blvd., servicing ZIP codes 75205, 75206, 75360 and 75372
- Northaven Post Office, 2736 Royal Lane, servicing ZIP code 75229
- Lakewood Post Office, 6120 Swiss Ave., servicing ZIP codes 75214 and 75359
- Robert E. Price Post Office, 8135 Forest Lane, servicing ZIP codes 75230 and 75251
- Preston Post Office, 8604 Turtle Creek Blvd., servicing ZIP code 75225
- Farmers Branch Post Office, 13904 Josey Lane, servicing ZIP codes 75234, 75244 and 75381
- Mesquite Post Office, 120 E Grubb Drive, servicing ZIP codes 75149, 75150, 75180, 75181, 75182, 75185 and 75187
- Waxahachie Post Office, 316 N College St., servicing ZIP codes 75165, 75167 and 75168
The Postal Service is the only carrier that serves every address in every community in the country six, and often seven, days a week.
The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.