PRC to Host Off-The-Record Technical Conference
Washington, DC – The Postal Regulatory Commission, in consultation with the U.S. Postal Service, will host an off-the-record technical conference on Friday, February 15, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. EST, to facilitate stakeholder discussion on how best to achieve the objectives outlined in the Presidential Memorandum of August 23, 2018, and to provide an opportunity for the public to share its views on an appropriate rate design for international mail.
Postal Service representatives are expected to discuss matters on the technical, policy, or strategic aspects related to competitive Inbound Letter Post Small Packets and Bulky Letters and Inbound Competitive Registered Mail services.
The Commission and U.S. Postal Service agreed on the following agenda items to guide the discussions during the technical conference:
Agenda for Technical Conference on February 15, 2019
- Discussion of the requirement under section 3633(a)(2) of Title 39 that each competitive product cover its attributable costs, including:
- How the Postal Service will ensure that the resulting rates will cover attributable costs; and
- If and/or how the Postal Service will differentiate between costs for domestic mail and costs for international mail (i.e., potential mail preparation, entry and transportation differences).
- Discussion of available data or data sources the Postal Service may employ in developing the rates and costs for Inbound Letter Post Small Packets and Bulky Letters and Inbound Competitive Registered Mail services.
- Stakeholder feedback from the public on conceptual basis and/or methodology the Postal Service could use to set prices for Inbound Letter Post Small Packets and Bulky Letters and Inbound Competitive Registered Mail services, including discussion of:
- The policy goals laid out in the Presidential Memorandum of August 23, 2018; and
- Whether the Postal Service should offer self-declared rates for the Inbound Letter Post Small Packets and Bulky Letters product to non-designated operators in addition to designated operators.
The Commission welcomes members of the public to attend the technical conference being held in the Hearing Room on February 15, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. EST at:
Postal Regulatory Commission
901 New York Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20268
The Commission will also house a webex and audio option on the homepage of its website, www.prc.gov, for interested parties to join the technical conference, and via the following direct URL: https://prcmeetings.webex.com/prcmeetings/j.php?MTID=m3d33d235ccb44edcf4a946dccfd3d23e.
By Phone: 415 615-0002 Access Code: 736 928 484
At the end of the technical conference, a link to the event will be available on the Commission’s website at https://www.prc.gov/webcasts.
All other files related to these proceedings are located in Case Information under Docket No. CP2019-83.
The Postal Regulatory Commission is an independent federal agency that provides regulatory oversight over the U.S. Postal Service to ensure the transparency and accountability of the Postal Service and foster a vital and efficient universal mail system. The Commission is comprised of five Presidentially-appointed and Senate-confirmed Commissioners, each serving terms of six years. The Chairman is designated by the President. In addition to Chairman Robert G. Taub, the other commissioners are Vice Chairman Nanci E. Langley and Commissioners Mark Acton, Tony Hammond and Michael Kubayanda. Follow the PRC on Twitter: @PostalRegulator