By joint agreement (M-01929), several COVID related memorandums of understanding have been further extended through December 31, 2020. These memoranda include: temporary expanded sick leave for dependent care (M-01910); temporary additional paid leave for CCAs (M-01911); temporary use of the 7:01 rule (M-01913); temporary workplace changes to promote social distancing (M-01915); and temporary use of TCAs (M-01916).
NALC and the Postal Service also agreed to another temporary time limit extension on Step B and arbitration appeals (M-01930), and an agreement giving local parties the ability to develop a sign-up process for full-time employees who previously did not, or could not, place their names on either the overtime desired list or work assignment list (M-01931). Both of these agreements will expire on December 31st as well.
Also extended through December 31st is a USPS memorandum (M-01914) which instructs managers and supervisors to allow liberal changes of schedule to accommodate employees who are dealing with childcare issues related to the pandemic. The memorandum also provides for liberal sick leave usage for employees who are sick and liberal annual and leave without pay (LWOP) to the extent operationally feasible, treats COVID-19 related leave as scheduled (as opposed to unscheduled) leave, and directs that leave taken for COVID-19 related reasons during this time not be cited in discipline for failing to maintain an assigned schedule.
Each of the MOUs and the USPS directive can be found in NALC’s Materials Reference System on the NALC website.
- MOU – Temporary Expanded Sick Leave for Dependent Care During COVID – 19
- MOU – Temporary Additional Leave for MHAs This extension provides the Mail Handler Assistants (MHAs) the opportunity to utilize the 80 hours of paid leave provided in the original MOU, it does not provide an additional 80 hours.
- MOU – Temporary Exception Period – COVID – 19
- Liberal Changes of Schedule and Leave Letter dated March 23, 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact the National Contract Administrative Department.
UPDATED: NRLCA and USPS Agree to Extend COVID-19 Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) Through December 31, 2020
September 15, 2020
Click the following link to view/download the signed MOU confirming the extension of the MOUs listed below:
The National Rural Letter Carriers’ Association and United States Postal Service have mutually agreed to extend the Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) linked below through December 31, 2020:
- Temporary Paid Leave for Rural Carrier Associates
- Temporary Expanded Sick Leave for Dependent Care During COVID-19
- Temporary Workplace Changes to Promote Social Distancing – COVID-19
- Temporary Expanded Scheduling of Assistant Rural Carriers (ARCs)
- Regular Carriers Working Other Routes and on Sundays
NOTE: Regarding the MOU titled Temporary Paid Leave for Rural Carrier Associates, the extension provides Rural Carrier Associates the opportunity to utilize the 80 hours of paid leave provided in the original MOU, it does not provide an additional 80 hours.