CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Postal workers in Charlotte joined together in a march on Tuesday morning to protest a plan that could cost hundreds of clerks their jobs.
Workers said the plan is part of the U.S. Postal Service’s 10-year plan to condense operations.
The union president, Miriam Bell, said workers were told earlier this month that they would be losing 308 jobs in Charlotte. She said that will impact residents’ mail delivery if it happens.
Bell blames the 10-year plan, which was unveiled back in 2021 and is aimed at getting the struggling agency back on track.
The goal was to achieve positive net income within three years and avoid $160 billion in projected losses by 2030.
Bell said Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s plan resulted in a new USPS plant being built in Gaston County, which is funneling jobs away from Charlotte and will impact mail delivery.