A leaking package that resulted in medical treatment for Minden Post Office employees on Saturday contained acetone.
“On Saturday, while employees were sorting parcels at our Minden Post Office, one of the parcel’s contents broke open, spilling a liquid and giving off fumes,” U.S. Postal Service spokesman Rod Spurgeon said on Monday. “Postal inspectors investigated the leak and determined it to be acetone, a substance used in cleaners, paint remover, varnish remover, etc.”
Spurgeon confirmed that workers were evaluated as a precaution and were back to work on Monday and the post office had reopened.
Acetone is a hazardous material as designated by the U.S. Department of Transportation and is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property during transportation.
There could be implications for the sender of the package.